Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 8: Slow Cooked Stuffed Apples


There is nothing like hot apple cider brewed fresh on a cold winters night. I know a lot of people prefer hot cocoa but truth be told, I'm (as in Bekah) not a huge chocolate fan. I know, shocker! :-) I saw this idea on Pinterest and decided to try it out. I created this simple recipe myself but feel free to add walnuts or raisins to your liking.

Recipe:


4-6 Apples, cored
1/2 C brown sugar
1 Tsp cinnamon
1/4 Tsp nutmeg
1/2 Tsp lemon juice
1 C apple cider or apple juice

Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.

I love when Honey Crisp apples are in season and used these apples for this recipe.
Core the apples and peel the top off the apple. I cored the top and insides but I left the bottom of the apple intact. I did this so the cinnamon mixture could really bake into the apple. Use a pastry brush and brush the lemon juice on the top of the cored apple. 
 Stuff the cinnamon mixture generously into the apples, about 2- 3 Tbl per apple. Place the apples into a slow cooker and add the apple juice/cider. If you want, I'm sure spiced cider would taste excellent as well. At the store I found Honey Crisp apple cider and was excited to pair it with my Honey Crisp apples:-)

 Cook the apples on high for 2-3 hours or until golden and tender.

It was hard to capture how divine these apples were. After cooking for an hour the house had an amazing apple/cinnamon aroma that was mouth watering. The apples were so tender, juicy and started to fall apart as I took them out of the crock pot into a bowl. I whipped up some whipping cream with heavy whipping cream, some vanilla and a dash of cinnamon. I loved making this dish. It was very simple, mouth-watering and amazing.
Enjoy!

0 comments: