Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 2- Red & White Stripped Cookies


My dear friend, K and her little son, D, came over to help me make these fun Christmas cookies. I pulled out my Betty Crocker Cooky Recipe book and found this classic. These cookies remind me of my childhood. My mom used to make them every year. I loved watching her twist the dough into small candy canes and I especially loved to eat them hot out of the oven.

Recipe:
1 C Shortening
1 C powdered sugar
1 Egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 C crushed peppermint candy
1/2 C sugar

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees


Mix shortening, egg and powdered sugar together. Add the flour and salt and mix well.

Split the dough in half and put one half in a separate bowl. Put aside. With the other dough add red food coloring and mix until the red is fully incorporated in the dough. Now comes the fun (and sometimes frustrating part.

On a lightly floured surface, take a small ball of red dough and roll it back and forth until it becomes a small rope of dough. Do the same to the white dough. Place both ropes of dough side by side and twist together to form a candy cane.

Bake for 10 minutes or until golden in the oven. You don't have to just to candy canes. You can have fun making whatever shapes and sizes you want. We had a lot of fun trying some out.

While the cookies are cooling you and sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top for a little more holiday happiness;-) We had a lot of fun making these cookies and they may not look like incredible masterpieces but they sure tasted yummy.

Enjoy!

0 comments: